Much evidence of past times remains in the fields around the village. The shapes and names of the fields reflect the ancient furlongs. Click here to see old field names. Old roads, banks and overgrown bridges give clues to the access routes and footpaths used by the villagers. Ancient hedgerows can be identified by their sinuous shape and the remains of the open fields can be seen from the ridge and furrows which still abound. Often the latter can be identified in low morning or evening sun or by the peculiar pattern of vegetation growing along the ridges.
It would appear that most of the fields had already been enclosed by the time of the Parliamentary Enclosure act for Tintinhull in 1796. This can be seen from the fact that they follow the general shape of the ancient furlongs, viz. long and narrow, rather than having the regular box shape of Commissioner determined fields. This can be seen by comparing the extract from the OS map with the equivalent area on the John Napper Map of 1786. See, for instance, the arrowed example below.